Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Notes on notes

To keep the piles and piles and files and files of readings about education policy, reading instruction, and sociological theories at least moderately fresh in my mind requires some gymnastics. I've attempted several different styles of note taking and think it's important to figure out the pros and cons of each them....

Back when I was a fresh and green grad student, I wrote outlines. The headings and numbered points in bullet-format required me to review all sections of readings. This format worked well for historical pieces but not as well for empirical pieces. It lacked adequate space for my own interpretation.

Next, I used the POME orals study group worksheet. The worksheet included space for a brief summary, as well as how the reading linked to other pieces- which is great for compare/contrast exercise!

I've also had cycles of writing memos about particular readings. These memos are a combination of quotes from the reading plus my interpretation/analysis/reaction. A plus of the memo is that I can copy and paste sections of the memos into my own writing work. The con is that it's hard to muster the energy to write a memo about a reading that I may never write about/need.

I guess this leads me to my final point...What type of reading notes will put me in the best position to complete pre-qualifying papers (I like to call them PQs) and survive orals. I'm tempted to create a worksheet based on my probable areas of specialization, and this would encourage me to link readings to my areas and writing as well as begin to make connections between pieces and see the holes in the field. It could also help to develop a spreadsheet with names of articles and their relation to my areas. Finally, it's all gotta go in Endnote (my dear, dear friend).

No comments: