Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Logics or not
The new Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, has suggested re-branding NCLB and supports giving the law a new name. I could go crazy with metaphors, such as giving it a new coat of paint, putting a fox in sheep's clothes, but I'm really bad with idiomatic expressions (could be due to my mom being French)!! I could also brainstorm potential names for a terribly famous umbrella policy for US schools--Every child will think AND learn or A test a day keeps inequity away or....But I'd rather just mention that Secretary Duncan is acting as a strategic framer because, by re-labeling NCLB, it will shift how people view the policy--even if the nature of the actual policy isn't changed. Woh. Secretary Duncan is manipulating the broader ideas, logics, by changing a title for a policy to push for the changes he's interested in (three cheers for institutional theory!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment