Sunday, August 12, 2007

Something new

Lunch with Willow reminded me of the importance of acknowledging and probing the unexpected within research data, as well as the deliciousness of fried food. Okay, back to serious grad school stuff...

So, there's a recurring theme in the data (which I didn't collect) that I'm currently reviewing/analyzing. Many teachers are saying that the district/school's core reading program is too hard for their students.

Now I'm questioning what reading programs, such as OCR, teach instructors about students' abilities and about differentiation? How does OCR impact differentiation? What’s going on at the intersection of teacher knowledge about THEIR students and standards/IM/OCR. It seems that teachers are grappling with how to best serve their students' needs through targeted/leveled instruction while managing implementation of a one-size-fits-all reading program, which doesn't leave teachers with a lot of time or energy to differentiate.

On top of all that---is OCR too hard or too easy? Many teachers/researchers/pundits moan that OCR focuses on basic skills, implying it's too EASY. Yet, this data (and I've heard from other teachers at a range of Bay Area schools) are pretty convinced that the program is too HARD. It seems like teachers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'd like to better understand that place!!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, what will this Thursday's lunch bring?