In the fall, I will be taking a qualitative methods course, and I would like to tackle a project that will have legs, rather than do another course paper. Since the bulk of the course will deal with data collection, it will provide an opportunity for me to collect my own data.
What data to collect? I could observe classrooms and staff meetings, interview teachers and administrators, survey teachers and administrators, and collect student work. I'd like to collect data about the ways teachers learn about/from policy related to reading instruction. I'd also like to collect data on teachers' relationships as they gain information about reading policies, which could be emanating from the school, district, or state level.
When and Where to collect data? It will be critical to choose a site early on and set up appropriate time to gather data at the school. Although I am connected to some charter schools, I am interested in gathering data from traditional public schools, in order to learn more about our local public school system.
Why? My brain's already spinning with what theory to use to guide data collection and its subsequent analysis. I have a theoretical framework that's quite deep that deals with different actors having different capabilities as framers. It would require observing and interviewing a principal, instructional coach, and teachers. I would judge and compare how different actors are strategic to promote organizational change. I've also been thinking a lot about organizational learning and teacher monitoring. That project would require observing schools and interviewing actors to understand how they collect and use information about classroom practice. Are principals actively using information gathered via classroom observations to make deep, schoolwide changes? Part of me is MORE interested in the organizational learning and, somehow, it feels more doable....but I should take some more time to think it through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You inspire me with all your thinking, processing and obvious work. I need inspiration these days! Am back from the wedding and have landed and rested from it's accompanying exhaustion and am now working on school again. I've been doing a lot of reading, and especially like your "Notes on notes" post. Am just finishing a book and planning to write a memo on it today!
Keep writing, it's great :-)
Post a Comment